10 acres of the well-known former Towers Hospital site in Leicester have been sold for residential development on behalf of client Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust.
Redrow Homes has bought the Towers Hospital East site in Gipsy Lane, two miles north of Leicester city centre. Redrow plans to build between 140 and 145 new homes on the site.
The Towers Hospital began life as Leicester Borough Asylum in 1869, later becoming Leicester City Mental Hospital. It became the Towers Hospital in 1948. We marketed the land for construction and support services company Interserve on behalf of Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust.
Best offers invited on remaining 10.81 acres
Meanwhile the remaining adjacent 10.81 acre Towers Hospital West site is available for sale in whole or part, with best offers invited by July 2. This land is also suitable for residential development, but also has potential for a a foodstore. A 30,000 sq ft former nurses home on the site is also under offer for residential use following a separate marketing campaign.
Geoff Gibson, Director in our Leicester office said: “This is a very well-known site in the Leicester area. We are pleased to have been involved in the sale on behalf of the Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust, and that it has been sold for housing development to such a nationally known company as Redrow. The NHS Trust will be re-investing the capital receipt in patient care and modernising its remaining estate. We are now looking for offers for the remainder of the Towers Hospital site by July 2, and interested parties should contact us for details.”
REGISTER FOR UPDATES
Get the latest insight, event invites and commercial properties by email