- Since 2016, our Planning, Regeneration + Infrastructure (PR+I) team has provided ongoing planning advice to Smulders in relation to their operations at Hadrian Yard, Wallsend.
- In March 2022, we were instructed to prepare and submit a planning application for a large workshop building (measuring 270m by 55m and 41 m in height).
- Smulders had secured contracts to construct foundations for offshore wind turbines, with work due to start the following year. As such, planning consent was required under tight timescales to ensure that Smulders had sufficient facilities to deliver the contracts on time.
- There were a number of planning considerations associated with the proposed development, most notably the potential adverse amenity impact on nearby dwellings.
- Undertook early pre-application consultation with the Local Planning Authority (LPA); commissioned the necessary suite of technical documents; and consulted both local residents and Councillors.
- Worked closely with the client and sub-consultants to respond swiftly to any requests for further information.
- Worked positively and proactively with LPA officers to ensure the application was taken to the Committee ahead of the determination deadline.
- Our team presented the application to the Council's Planning Committee. Despite opposition from local residents regarding noise, outlook and shadowing impacts, we successfully determined that the proposed development was appropriate.
- The application was approved and the development is scheduled to be completed by April 2023.
Get in touch
Email me direct
REGISTER FOR UPDATES
Get the latest insight, event invites and commercial properties by email