Compulsory purchase orders (CPO) and compensation is a specialised and complex area of professional practice. Our specialist CPO surveyors have in-depth knowledge of compulsory purchase law and procedures, meaning we can help government departments, infrastructure providers and developers follow best practice throughout the process. We also act for property owners and occupiers, ensuring they are fairly consulted and compensated in advance of, and in the event of, a CPO.
Supporting government and infrastructure providers with CPO procedures
For infrastructure schemes such as roads, railways, power stations, water supply and waste water networks, we can help you follow the correct legal requirements under the Hybrid Bill, Transport & Works Act (TWA), Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) or Development Consent Order (DCO) procedures.
We work with government departments and agencies, including the Highways Agency, numerous local authorities and infrastructure providers to help them apply compulsory purchase powers fairly and responsibly.
Our services include:
- Advice on site or route selection from a property perspective
- Valuation and compensation estimates, including for business disturbance
- Advice on site assembly
- Negotiations prior to award of CPO powers
- Expert witness evidence at Public Inquiry/Scheme Examination
- Negotiations with claimants after CPO implementation
- Expert witness evidence at Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber)
Services for property owners and occupiers
We act for property owners and occupiers affected by infrastructure and regeneration schemes and on the “receiving end” of notice under a CPO or DCO.
Our services include:
- Advice on the implications and effect of a scheme on property value and acquisition under CPO
- Advice on making objections, and appearing at Public Inquiry
- Valuation and preparation of the compensation claim including business disturbance
- Negotiation with the acquiring authority
- Expert witness evidence at Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) if negotiations fail
We have successfully negotiated compensation claims with acquiring bodies where property is taken or value is adversely affected. We can also assist with business relocation – helping you find suitable premises quickly.