Our work

Sale of Marconi Works site


Rob Neaverson, Judith Sargent

Acting on behalf of Zolfo Cooper, we have sold the former Marconi Works site on New Street, Chelmsford, to Bellway.

The 10 acre site was originally built in 1912 by British telecommunications company, Marconi. It was also home to the first radio broadcast in 1920.

Marconi operated from there until 2008, when it sold the site to Ashwell Property Group.

The freehold of the entire site was sold to Bellway, one of the UK's largest house builders.

Largest Essex site sale for many years

The Marconi site has a long history and was the largest - and arguably most high profile - site sale in Essex for a number of years.

The site has been vacant since 2008, and had a resolution to grant planning consent for a mixed use scheme of new homes and retail space, totalling around 1 million sq ft. Following a successful sale process, Bellway was identified as the preferred bidder.

Welcome regeneration for landmark Essex site

The sale was positive and high profile news for the Chelmsford and Essex markets, with the new owner to drive forward much needed regeneration of this landmark site. The redevelopment will restore the site to preserve a genuine piece of Essex history.

Turner & Townsend acted as development consultant throughout the sale process. 

For further information relating to this news article contact 

Register for updates

Sign up today to receive these benefits:

  • Receive new property notifications
  • Save your searches
  • Access to the latest market reports
Register now

How can we help?